The Duluth Pack is named after the city of Duluth, Minnesota, where they were invented. The Duluth pack was invented by a French-Canadian named Camille Poirier, who made his way west to Duluth in 1870 where he began a leather goods store. Out of his small leather goods shop on the waterfront, Camille began building a new style canoe pack. The first Duluth pack was patented in 1882. In 1911, Camille sold off the canoe pack business to Duluth Tent and Awning on West Superior Street in Duluth, MN. The Company's headquarters have been at this location for the last 100 years, and is known as the Duluth Pack Company. The original Duluth packs offered by the Duluth Pack company have changed little since they were first introduced.