In 1904, the Sheboygan Knitting Company was destroyed by fire. Sheboygan Knitting Company Treasurer, Herbert Chesebro and a group of investors, salvage some of the equipment and founded the Hand Knit Hosiery Company. By the 1930's, the company was producing products solely under the brand name. By 1945 the War Production Order had been enacted, and Hand Knit Hosiery, while previously knitting for both civilians and the military, was forced to produce exclusively for the military. Hand Knit also worked closely with the DuPont Chemical Company and their revolutionary new synthetic fiber, nylon. From the start the company has always been interested in new technologies to make better products. In the 50's Robert Chesebro Sr. started a trend that is still used in socks today. Socks were knit with a colored toeseam that corresponded to the socks's size, helping families sort a multitude of sock sizes in their laundry basket. In 1956 the company's name was changed to Wigwam. The registered trademark dated back the original acqusition in 1905. The famous Wigwam logo stems from a pair of crossed knitting needles. Wigwam socks have been championed by sports & outdoor enthusiasts ever since.